Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Personal (Pan) Pizza

I haven't been to a Pizza Hut since about 1987 when I used to drive my sister and my cousins there for lunch now and again. I, being the oldest, was the only one with a license.

Why we picked that place in particular I don't really remember. Living in NY there were plenty of local pizza places to go, but for some reason that's where we went. Maybe it's because our parents never took us there. Who knows.

We acted as if we were in a five star restaurant. In our minds it was like a world class chef was in the kitchen making those bread sticks, instead of a 16 year old from Long Island.

Of course our meals weren't anywhere near low fat - but back then we didn't care.

One thing I do remember is that it was one of the first places to serve personal sized pizzas*. I never ordered them myself but now I make them all the time. I love pizza and though leftovers are great - there can be too much of a good thing.

I use whole wheat pitas or flat breads most often or Trader Joe's Whole Wheat Pizza Dough. But sometimes, like tonight, I use a Boboli Mini Pizza Crust.




Ingredients:

1 Boboli Mini Pizza Crust
1/4 cup Classico Tomato Basil Sauce
1/2 cubanelle pepper, sliced thin
1 tablespoon minced white onion
1.5 tablespoons Part Skim Ricotta Cheese
2 tablespoons Part Skim Mozzarella
1.5 oz roasted chicken breast cubed (about a quarter of a chicken breast)
a sprinkle of crushed red pepper
salt and pepper to taste

Bake at 425 degrees for about 15 minutes. Serves 2.

Or maybe more accurately - it's 2 servings.


Approx calories: 425 per serving which is 1/2 of the pizza

I make a whole pizza and immediately cut it in half and have 1 half left over for another time.

Don't get me wrong. These pizzas don't hold a candle to some of the slices you can get here in the city. But when you have a craving and don't want all the fat these will more than do.

*(A quick glance at the nutritional info tells me that a Pizza Hut Cheese Personal Pan Pizza is close to 600 calories and 24 grams of fat)



No comments:

Post a Comment