Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Pepper Steak Salad

There is a hotel in San Francisco called the Hotel Monaco. (There are some in other cities too - it's part of the Kimpton Hotel Group.)

Anyway - there is a restaurant there called The Grand Cafe and it's there that I once took a steak sandwich with carmelized onions and deconstructed it - eating the warm steak over arugula.

This salad is a variation on that theme.

Ingredients

1 package of sirloin steak strips (about .75 a lb)

Marinade

1 tsp low sodium soy
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp Worchestshire sauce
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 chopped scallion
Salt & Pepper


For the salad:

2 cups baby romaine
1/2 a red bell pepper
1/2 a orange bell pepper
about 1 tbsp onion, cut in strips
1 tbsp of olive oil and a pinch of sugar to carmelize


To cook the steak/dressing:

1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp balsamic
1 clove minced garlic


Last night I used these ingredients to marinate some sirloin steak cut in strips. I used half a package of 12 strips.



I left it in the fridge till tonight.




I sliced up the peppers and onions into strips about the size of the steak.



I started with the onions.



Then I added a pinch of this guy. (I buy sugar in the packets because I don't use it often and it doesn't go bad this way).



Till they looked like this. It took about 15 min on low/medium heat.



I tossed in the peppers and cooked till they were just a bit soft but still had a bite.



I took them out - set them aside and then threw the steak in. I added the clove of garlic and a little balsamic and reduced it a bit.


The steak cooks really quick - like 5 min tops.





I tossed it all together with two cups of lettuce, using the liquid I cooked the steak in as a kind of dressing.



And then I had some of those same kind of potaters I made last night on the side.



Delish.

No comments:

Post a Comment