Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Blow out, Ballet, and The Bistro

This past weekend I had the opportunity to work with my friend Mary from High School.   We've been in the same industry for years but this was the first time we got to work together.   The tasks were pretty simple and we were able to share a glass (2 for me, one for Mary) of wine at the end.   It was great to catch up with her.

One of the things I've loved about my job is the fact that someone else pays me to travel - sometimes to a place I would never go otherwise,  sometimes to a place where I can see someone I love.     It's an extra treat when that happens.

I spent the weekend working in Saratoga.  I've never been before and I can't wait to go back.   I really have no excuse.  Mary has lived in the area for years.   Work gets in the way of life.   Life gets in the way of work.  

I am a believer that we do too much work and not enough living.  (More on that later...)

Anyway - when I first started Meeting Planning I spent many a night in Ritz-Carltons, Four Seasons and the like.   I was spoiled beyond belief.

I have to tell you though - in recent years my assigned accommodations have been more of the Courtyard Marriott variety.   And I'm not a hater.

Marriott's in general are my preferred hotels and the Courtyard has a cute "restaurant" of sorts called the Bistro.  They have appetizers, flatbreads and burgers.   Basic fare that you could get with room service but you can sit by the fire or on a patio or in a cute little booth with built in TV like I did watching Property Brothers on HGTV.     I couldn't decide what I wanted so I order the hummus plate and a burger.


Prior to this I took Mary's recommendation and had my hair blown out at Pin Ups.   I had a mimosa, read a magazine and was very relaxed.   I also tried to take this selfie without anyone seeing a thing, hence my face.





During my after pampering walk I found this pointe shoe hanging out on the sidewalk.   I danced from age 4 to 16 and then again in my mid-20s.    The New York City Ballet and specifically Balanchine's Nutcracker will forever be my favorite.   I hope I get to Lincoln Center at some point this season.


All and all - things are good around these parts.   I'm working hard, exhausted but it's a good exhausted.      It beats the alternative I guess.

I have said in the past that I wish I could do something else and the truth is I want to do what I do under my own terms.   Freelancing - though not my chosen path - something I was more forced to do out of necessity seems to be really working out for me.   If I get to see more of my friends more often it will truly be the best of both worlds.

No comments:

Post a Comment