Friday, October 3, 2014

Just be a good person.

My grandmother was a lover of soap operas.   She moved in with us when I was around 15 and some of my fondest memories were sitting on the edge of her bed watching As the World Turns.     She also loved true crime novels and I am going on record to say that she plays a part in my current Dateline addiction.

These days my soap opera fix comes courtesy of my TV soulmate Andy Cohen.   If there is a show on Bravo that I don't watch you can be sure it is of the truly lowest quality.   Because I literally watch other people watch TV on that channel.

Yesterday my soulmate in life kept asking me for updates on the Teresa Giudice situation.   And I admit - I'm fascinated both on and off the screen.   Their story is a true study in excess.    As someone who moved into a house where my husband used to live with his ex I can appreciate the desire to start fresh and new.    But I'd be ok with a house strangers lived in - not so skeeved out that I'd need to build one from scratch.   

I don't feel sorry for either one of them.   I feel sorry for their kids, especially the one who has learned it's "cute" to be rude to every adult she comes in contact with.    But their actions definitely warrant the punishment they were given.

Teresa in many ways reminds me of a spoiled teenager.   I happen to live with a houseful of them.  The lessons she should have learned are the ones Dave and I try and teach everyday by our own actions.   Our kids for sure have other influences outside our home but the underlying message remains.

Just be a good person.

Just do what you're supposed to do.  Study.  Clean up after yourself.   Be responsible.   Be courteous to others.   Treat people like you'd want to be treated.   Think before you act.     Think of others sometimes before you think of yourself.  Don't lie.

Obey laws and the rules of our house.    They are there to protect you (and others).

Teresa and Joe just weren't being good people.   They were out for themselves and sought to gain as much as they could without being responsible for working hard or paying back.   When they got caught they lied and played dumb.  If there is one thing I cannot stand it is someone who thinks I am dumb enough to buy a lie when the truth is staring me in the face. 

I admit I will watch all this unfold with a sense of fascination and enjoyment.   Because someone finally told them to just - stop.   I have no doubt that Teresa and her people are thinking she can spin this a la Martha

Fifteen months is a lot longer than five and you, Teresa,  are no Martha Stewart.

I think our kids are slowly getting it and I in no way expect any of them to end up on Bravo.

At least, not before me. ;)









No comments:

Post a Comment