The truth hurts. The truth is in 6 months I gained back almost half the weight I lost 2 years ago. Sure. I had a lot of stuff going on and maybe that’s a good enough excuse but the fact remains.
I’m not happy about it.
And I could just keep on doing what I’ve been doing and gain it ALL back 6 months from now but I’m not going to let that happen.
Really if you asked me what it was about going to a nutritionist that worked for me is that it’s sort of like counseling + nutritional advice. We talked about what happened to me in the past 6 months.
I lost my father.
I almost lost my job.
I lost my dog.
All those losses equaled huge gains on the scale.
I told M today that it was like I turned off a switch in September. I was feeling so unbalanced it was just easier to shut that part of my life off. My workouts were done halfheartedly and I ate whatever I felt like eating. I’m going to be honest here. I’m not sure that I’m 100% back in the mindset I need to be in but I’m really going to make an effort in the next few weeks. There are all sorts of sayings about how long it takes to break a habit. And the conclusion of that article is…you basically have to keep working on it for the rest of your life.
Depressing – but if I’ve learned nothing these past few months it’s that it’s absolutely true.
The new game plan? Get back to the old one.
1) Portion size. I don’t eat things that are terribly bad – I’ve just been eating too much of them. More salads. Half of what I eat out goes home or goes back to the kitchen.
2) Moderation. I’m going back to the drinking wine mostly when I go out or on weekends. I’m going to do the 1 drink 1 water or Diet Coke rule.
3) Put away the Metrocard. It’s 25 degrees today. I walked from M’s to the office and I didn’t die. I need to walk to and from work more.
4) Exercise. I’m committing to doing something 4 days a week. Jen and I already have plans to do this run. While in Cancun I did C25K – week 3 and I did it easily. I have to stop babying myself and just work out already. To mix it up I’m going to try for yoga at home + the stairs and the gym or Zumba 2x a week. All the extra walking is just icing.
5) I probably should have used another word besides icing.
So that’s that. Look for more healthy recipes here, new ways that I find to exercise, and just basically getting back to the old (new) me.