Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Rise and Shine

I have a job that offers me the luxury of working from home one day a week. I typically pick Wednesday - as it coincides with my appointments with M. Now that my visits to her are less frequent - I have Weigh-In Wednesdays - and Non-Weigh-In Wednesdays.

My breakfast on a WI Wednesday consist of the following:

1 cup Cheerios
1/2 cup skim milk
1/2 cup concord grape juice


Today is not a WI Wednesday. :)

On days like this - I like a hot breakfast. One of my favorite breakfasts honestly is a McDonald's Egg McMuffin. According to their nutrition info it has 300 calories. Not bad at all.

Of course - that does not include the hash browns. ;)

Here's my homemade version - much tastier and better for you. And yes. That's real bacon.



It's a simple thing. Just toast an English muffin, fry an egg, add a slice each of bacon and cheese and voila.

Ingredients:

1 large egg (fried in a skillet with vegetable oil cooking spray)
1 Thomas' Multi-Grain Light English Muffin
1 slice bacon (cooked in microwave on high for 1 minute)
1 slice Sargento Sharp Cheddar Cheese

Toast the English Muffin, stack the rest on top and enjoy!

The calories? Surprisingly similar to Mickey D's. Mine estimates at 296.

The English muffin has 100 calories, 1.5 grams of fat and a whopping 8 grams of fiber.

And it takes about as much time to make as it takes for you to go to the drive-thru.

A note about the cheese. Lately I've been drawn to buying cheese that is white instead of yellow. I think it's mostly a personal preference - but for me - the taste is the same and you don't have the unnecessary coloring. Also - I'm using pre packaged because it's just me here. I often can't get through the things in my fridge before they go bad. The resealable packages are great.

See you at lunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment