Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Faux BBQ

Before I left for work I took a boneless pork tenderloin out to defrost (sorry Annie - I know you are anti-swine) and made myself a little BBQ.

Here it is in the oven.



I kept it simple with the pork - just spread a little Sweet Baby Ray's Honey BBQ Sauce on it.

On the side I made two different dishes.

First - Oven Baked Squash w/Parmesan

1 small zucchini, sliced
1 small yellow squash, sliced
1 tbsp olive oil
1.5 tbsp parmigiano reggiano, grated
Salt & Pepper to taste





(I had both zucchini and squash left over. They were a little bigger than I wanted but all I could get)



Layer the squash in a baking dish. Drizzle w/olive oil, salt & pepper to taste. Add grated cheese on top.

Sliced Oven Baked Potatoes

1 potato - skin on
1 tbsp chopped onion
1 tsp chopped scallions
drizzle of olive oil
dash of cayenne
S & P to taste



Slice the potatoes length wise - almost as if you were making fries. I actually made 2 potatoes, one batch for tomorrow night's dinner.

At this point I threw the potato in the microwave for about 2 and a half minutes - just to cook it a bit.



Chop a large slice of onion - you should end up with about a tablespoon or so

I also sliced up the top of a scallion for color and a bit of extra flavor.




Layer the potatoes and onion on a large piece of foil. Drizzle with olive oil. S&P to taste. Add a dash of cayenne for some heat. Fold up in a little package, making sure ends are sealed.

Bake for both these dishes 30 min (with the pork) at 375 degrees. The potatoes can go longer if you like them crispier.

Dinner is served.




I know it seems like a hassle to cook - especially if you are only cooking for one. It took me a long time to get to a place where I wasn't making myself sick of leftovers and wasting food, but one of the things I've learned in the last few months is this:

No one is going to take care of you if you don't take care of yourself first.

If you'd go to the trouble to cook dinner for someone else in your life - then you deserve the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment