Thursday, June 25, 2009

Typical Thursday




Even though it might seem like I'm lying - this is really my typical lunch.

It's spinach, cubed chicken, orange bell pepper, oven roasted tomatoes, 1 slice of cheddar cheese and some of last night's leftover corn lightly tossed in sweet vidalia onion dressing.

Spinach has become my favorite salad green. I used to think it was very bitter - and would shy away from it. My other favorite is arugula but that can taste...sort of grassy is the best way to describe it I think. I like softer lettuces, like butter or Boston. I'm not really a romaine (or iceberg) fan at all.

The fact that I am eating salad at all is a phenomenal feat. I was never that girl who said "I'd really love a big salad for lunch." No. I'd really love a burger, or a slice of pizza or chicken parmesan on a roll.

I used to think by simply resisting those things in favor of turkey and swiss on a roll or a grilled chicken wrap (delis in NYC don't grill anything without placing it in a vat of grease) was enough.

Look where that got me!

To me - a salad needs to have plenty of protein, a little crunch and a lot of flavor.

It was hard for me to get into them I think it's partially because I'm not really a fan of salad dressings. I like the greens to not be dry - but soggy is far worse. I'd rather just squeeze some lemon juice than add dressing to be honest.

I've found a few dressings that I like - but again - use them in extreme moderation. I'd rather season the chicken - with a marinade or barbecue sauce instead.

I've also used barbecue sauce as a dressing before to be honest.

My friend says that is weird. :)

Tonight - as is also typical - I am headed to a Zumba class. I've been taking this since about February and I love it. I used to dance in HS and have really missed it. My work schedule often didn't leave me much time to take any sort of organized class but that's changed over the last few months.

I usually take the Thursday class at the Alvin Ailey Extension. It's close to my office and helps make those treadmill workouts bearable. Just walking in that building makes me feel like a dancer again. It seems intimidating but it is really a welcoming place. I highly recommend. It's non-stop, fun and it is a WORKOUT. It's estimated you can burn up to 800 calories/hr.

Here's what it looks like: Zumba Video

That's not my class - but it's close!

It's a good thing I'm taking class tonight - since I'm off to the beach tomorrow. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment