Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Once upon a time...

I did not like salad. I barely ate lettuce. I didn't like any form of dressing. The most you could find me eating was tuna salad over iceberg when I was desperate to lose weight.

Fast forward till now.

I crave it. The darker the green the better. I still need it to be jam packed with protein but today I was in Trader Joe's and I decided to pick up an easy dinner. I had a box of frozen pizza in my basket and then I thought I'd really like some salad with it. My produce drawer is empty due to the fact I'll be gone for a week starting tomorrow but baby spinach is only $1.99 at TJs. I won't feel too bad for not finishing it all before I go away.

I put the pizza back and grabbed a red pepper, baby spinach and a pack of goat cheese (for $2.39!).

Roasted Pepper and Goat Cheese Salad

Ingredients:

For the salad:




2 cups baby spinach
1 tbsp onion (carmelized in about 1.5 tsps of butter)
1/2 red bell pepper roasted (in the oven on 425 for 25 minutes)
1 breaded chicken tender (cooked in the oven with the pepper)
1 oz goat cheese



For the dresssing:

1/2 tsp of honey dijon
1 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp balsamic vinegar

Mix well

Toss salad ingredients together with the dressing - crumble goat cheese on top



It was perfect. Just enough dressing and just the right proportion of protein. When the last bite still has a bit of cheese and chicken you gotta love it. And I love warm salads most of all - especially in the winter.

And to show I'm still not completely evolved - I also had some Mini Tater Tots on the side.



I eat things just because I want to have ketchup. True story.

I had a busy afternoon. I went to the dermatologist - then to TJs to buy some wine and champagne for NYE ($38 for 3 bottles of white and 2 of champagne - SCORE!) then I walked past the gym and renewed my membership - just sneaking in under the wire to get the big discount. I did not work out - but I walked a lot this afternoon. I'll go in the morning.

I am not weighing in again till 1/4. I have not gained but I don't want to end the year on a down note. M and I exchanged emails today and we're both on board to get the last 10 lbs off in early 2010.

I really don't even know what it'll feel like to be 70 lbs down and at my goal.

Pretty fantastic I gotta figure. :)

2 comments:

  1. It will feel fantastic! :)

    I probably won't "catch up" again until the New Year, so have a great holiday!

    Isn't it cool, too, that you have 23 followers? Although it appears one is a cat, so...I'm not sure we should count him/her. ;) Anyway, it's a nice blog and I've been enjoying it so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. TLK - Thanks so much! Hope you and your family have a wonderful holiday too!

    ReplyDelete