Saturday, November 21, 2009

Huevos Rancheros

Last weekend - at breakfast with my brother, sister in law and the kiddos both my brother and my sister got variations of Mexican style eggs. Jen's was a quesadilla but Matt got Huevos Rancheros.

I didn't used to be so adventurous - but a year or so ago I was in Houston for work and had the most delicious (homemade) version when I stayed overnight at a friend's.

I decided to try and kind of recreate it today.

1/4 cup black beans - drained
1.5 slices of bacon - chopped
1 oz grated extra sharp cheddar
1 tbsp of finely chopped onion
1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
1 egg
1 tbsp salsa
1 tbsp light sour cream
1 whole wheat tortilla




One of the reasons I didn't really like the tastes I had of Matt's breakfast last weekend was that it was made with refried beans. Not a huge fan of those at all.

I put the olive oil in the pan, cooked onion till translucent. I added the beans and the crumbled bacon, cooked through and mashed the beans a little bit and set aside.



I cooked an egg over easy.

I warmed up a tortilla for 15 seconds in the microwave then began to layer.

Beans on the bottom, then the egg, then the cheese, then the salsa and sour cream.



I wrapped it up so it'd be easier to cut and eat.



It was pretty damn close to the dish I remember so fondly. And pretty delicious - if I do say so myself.

Today I'm already feeling very productive. I'm almost done with 3 loads of laundry. I'm going to finish cleaning up my apartment in preparation for a house guest on Monday. I'm going to go to Zumba - come home - shower and then take the train out to Long Island (again!!) for the Thanksgiving before Thanksgiving.

A couple of cute kids will be there too - rumor has it. :)

See you then!!

No comments:

Post a Comment