Thursday, November 19, 2009

Lemon "Pepper" Chicken

Zumba was a killer tonight. I was still catching my breath halfway home on the subway. I love when it's like this though. I get the most benefit out of classes like these.

It reminds me of the last time I lost about 20-25 lbs about 5 years ago (which I gained back and then some of course!) I'd gotten a trainer for a bit and once a week he'd beat the crap out of me.

Exercisingly speaking of course.

But I rarely laughed and I felt mostly tortured going to the trainer even though he was a really sweet guy. Zumba - however - makes me smile almost all the way through.

Trust me. I still get the crap kicked out of me. Probably even more so because I'm not whining and stamping my feet in between lunges.

Well - there is stamping of the feet - but it's part of the workout. :)

I didn't eat quite enough today because on the walk home from the subway I was almost doubled over with hunger pains. I came home, showered and ate some pita chips and hummus while I put a potato in the over to bake.

Then I did something with a piece of chicken.

Lemon "Pepper" Chicken

Ingredients:

1 tbsp olive oil
1 boneless skinless chicken breast cubed
1/4 cup chopped asparagus
4 small sweet peppers (or 1/2 a medium bell pepper)sliced
1 tbsp chopped onion
1 clove garlic minced
a pinch of crushed red pepper
1/4 cup white wine
1 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice (I should have added some zest to kick up the lemon factor - about a 1/4 tsp.)
S&P to taste


I started with some onion and some peppers:



Chopped them up and added some asparagus:



This is TJ's frozen asparagus. It's one of life's great inventions. According to me that is.



A drizzle of this in a sautee pan:



I put the onion and garlic in till it was translucent then cooked the chicken through and added the crushed red pepper.




Deglazed with a squeeze of this...



and a splash of this...



I added the veggies until they were crisp but cooked and voila!!





The topping for my tater was delicious.



I enjoyed every bite!



I have a little bit of the chicken mixture leftover. The original plan was to serve this with quinoa but I took the lazy way out. I'm sure it'd be great though!

And that was dinner. Until tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment