Friday, July 24, 2009

Chilly Chicken Chili

TGIF.

Seriously.

I am wiped out. I need the weekend to get back on track. I've got a To Do list for the weekend but it's all things I can do on my own time.

Such as...

Working out
Cleaning and organizing my ENTIRE apartment
Doing Laundry
Taking a walk around the city to take some pictures and have a little picnic (I'm thinking of going to The High Line)
Stopping at Bed Bath & Beyond for a new shower curtain liner
Going to the movies. (I love going to the movies alone. It's one of my most favorite things. Do you?)


Sunday might be cleaning/laundry day since it's supposed to be nasty. Saturday might be my day for fun. We shall see.

Bear with me -I can already tell this post is going to be all over the place!!

I could start this post with my breakfast today, but honestly it's difficult to make a whole wheat sandwich thin and peanut butter look different every day. Instead I bring you tales from last night.

It was pouring when I left work to go to Zumba. Speaking of - I love So You Think You Can Dance and last night was the 100th episode. They did a reprise of Ramalama (Bang Bang) which was awesome the first time I saw it during S2 and still does not disappoint. It was choreographed by Wade Robson and won an Emmy. Here's last night's version - with Wade dancing along with some of the SYTYCD alums.

ETA: Sad. :( I guess they got wind of the video being on YouTube - bummer. Here's what the song sounds like though for your reference. Wade Robson's dance is kind of like Thriller set in the 1700s.



Anyway - the point is that we danced to this last night at Zumba and I loved it. It was a new combination (lots of lunges and jumps) and made me feel like one of the top 20 dancers.

Not really - but anyway...

Also: Katie Holmes danced (?) on the show last night. I think she mostly posed but that's just me. At least I know from her pre-performance interview that she still has the ability to speak. I feel like haven't heard her utter a word since she hooked up with that Cruise character.

Oh Dawson and Pacey. Look what's become of our Joey now.

Sorry. I told you this post would be random!!

Soooo...anyway it was still raining when class was over and I got kind of cold on the walk home. I wanted something warm and filling.

So I made some chicken chili.

Here's how.

Ingredients


1.5 tbsp olive oil
1 boneless skinless chicken breast
1 can crushed tomatoes
1 can red kidney beans
1/2 zucchini chopped
1/2 yellow squash chopped
1/4 red bell pepper chopped
1 tbsp onion minced
1 clove garlic minced
1.5 tbsp cumin
1.5 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp cayenne
2 tbsp roasted garlic salsa (this was only because I did not have jalepenos on hand - otherwise I'd have added 1 minced jalepeno pepper)
4 dashes hot sauce
S & P to taste
+ a secret ingredient!! Actually 2!!

To garnish - 1 tbsp light sour cream + 1 oz. grated extra sharp cheddar

This made about 4 servings. I ate about 1.5. I'm freezing the extra.






First - in my most favorite pot of all time - I sauteed some onion and garlic.



Then I added the chicken...



And then the veggies...



Add the beans, tomatoes, salsa and seasonings:



Secret ingredient #1 - a square of dark chocolate. It gives it a bit of a mole-y flavor.



Secret ingredient #2 - instead of rice - I serve over a baked sweet potato. Or half a sweet potato in this case:



The finished product:



And for dessert - Trader Joe's most yummy dark chocolate pretzels:



OK - I think that's more than enough for now. :)

See you later.

No comments:

Post a Comment