Saturday, July 4, 2009

Party of Three

So far it's just the three of us for a barbecue today - which is fine by me. Even still - you can absolutely have all the same things you'd have for a large crowd if you pare them down the right way.

On our menu today:

Lemon Chive Potato Salad
Tomato & Mozzarella Bruschetta
Fat Free Brownies

First - the Lemon Chive Potato Salad:

Ingredients

3 Med Sized Red Potatoes - diced
1.5 tbsp chopped red onion
1 tbsp chopped chives
juice + zest of 1/2 a lemon
2 tbsp olive oil
1.5 tbsp white vinegar
Salt and Pepper to taste



Place potatoes in a pot of cold water and put on stove at high heat. Add salt and wait till water boils. Cook till potatoes are fork tender (about 10 min or so). Drain and place back into hot pot. Wait until cool.

Toss in a bowl with the rest of the ingredients. Add more vinegar depending on your own taste. I don't really measure myself - the above amounts are estimates. Refrigerate till serving. This is great to bring to a picnic because it has no mayo.



Tomato & Mozzarella Bruschetta

This can be served over breaded chicken on a bed of greens or tossed in pasta or even on a burger. We typically have it on garlic toast or flatbread like we're doing today.


Ingredients


3 vine ripened tomatoes - diced
1/4 cup chopped red onion
1/4 cup fresh mozzarella cheese, cubed
1 tbsp of basil
1/4 cup olive oil
1/8 cup red wine vinegar
1 tbsp roasted garlic
Salt and Pepper to taste





We didn't have bulbs of garlic here today so I took a spoonful of fresh minced garlic, drizzled olive oil and put it in foil and baked it for about 15 min at 400 - just to get a little of the bitterness out.



Toss all ingredients in a bowl and refrigerate till serving.



And now - Fat Free Brownines.

I decided against the pie since there are only 3 of us - but maybe tomorrow when my parents are back. I figured we could make brownie sundaes for dessert.

Plus I remembered I weigh in on Tuesday.

Basically you just follow the package directions but substitute applesauce for the oil.



Plus I added some of this:





I think they look great. And the crumbs I tasted were pretty yummy. We'll see if everyone else agrees.



All that salad and brownie making made me hungry - but I don't want to ruin my appetite too much so I found a lonely slider roll in the fridge and had it with some hummus and cheese.



I think I'm going to go outside now and enjoy the weather. Happy 4th!

No comments:

Post a Comment