Monday, September 21, 2009

Chicken Caprese Pasta

So let's talk about my dinner tonight.

I made some roasted tomatoes - Smitten Kitchen style the other day. I have a bunch of basil and some fresh mozzarella. I need to use it or lose it. I used some on my pizza last night and made a little tomato bruschetta (sidenote - it's really just caprese salad, chopped up. I don't know what else to call it though!!) I'm going to be tomato/basil'd out soon.

Tonight I got home around 6 and ate before 7. That's rare for me.

First though - I had a snack of TJ's Sea Salt pita chips and Cedars. A little tip - I always portion out whatever I'm using to dip. There is nothing more dangerous than keeping the bag next to you in a snacking situation.



Now that we've gotten that out of the way - let's go.

Ingredients
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp of butter
1 skinless boneless chicken breast, cubed
2 tbsp chopped red onion
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tbsp fresh chopped basil
1 boccaccinni, cubed
1 tbsp grated parmigiano reggiano
1/4 cup roasted tomatoes
1/4 cup dry white wine
1 cup cooked whole wheat linguini
a pinch of crushed red pepper
S&P to taste, a little more basil to garnish at the end




Here's where I tell you my frying pan is soaking in the sink and I didn't want to dirty my big Le Creuset so I sauteed the chicken in a saucepan.

When I move into a mansion or a loft I'll use different pots - otherwise - you have to take what you can get. ;)



Heat olive oil on medium heat, add chopped onion and garlic. Sautee till translucent - about 2 minutes. Add chicken and cook through.

Deglaze with wine, simmer to reduce, about 3-4 more minutes.



Set salted water to boil - add pasta - cook per package directions.



Look at that action shot!

Then I added a little butter to make the sauce a bit richer.



I grated some parmigiano reggiano into the sauce as well, added some fresh cracked pepper and crushed red pepper. Then I tossed in the tomatoes and basil.



I threw in the mozzarella at the last minute and then - ta da!!



It really is one of my favorite combinations ever. When I finally have a house someday I am going to grow all sorts of herbs - but most definitely basil. So yummy.

Time to watch some TV (How I Met Your Mother premieres tonight) and relax. Tomorrow is my very looooong day.

Sleep well.

No comments:

Post a Comment