Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Feast of Words

The meal was prepared by Mr. Ray. This was a custom of many years’ standing. No one else was allowed in the kidchen except in the role of admiring audience. [...] If nothing else was available he made his sandwiches of onions. He used slices of mild Bermuda onions, sprinkled with vinegar and dusted with pepper and salt.

~ from Heaven to Betsy, by Maud Hart Lovelace


I know full well that I'm not 100% normal.

Well - whatever normal is anyway. :)

For instance:

I watch an insane amount of trashy reality television.

(case in point - even if I don't keep up with them regularly - I do know who all the Kardashians are.)

I fully enjoy the occasional Miley Cyrus song.

I am almost as excited for a fictional couple to get married as I would be if it were my own wedding.


Oh...and I eat stuff like this for breakfast:



That right there is a peanut butter and bacon sandwich. They're something my Grandma introduced me to. That and Irish Spaghetti.

I'll save that for another time.

Anyway - eating this makes me feel like I'm ten again (much like Miley Cyrus songs). In one of my favotite series of books of all time - the Besty-Tacy series by Maud Hart Lovelace Betsy's dad makes onion sandwiches. At the time I thought that was a weird thing - but I think I might have to try to make them myself soon.

Onion sandwiches are also featured in another one of my favorites - Jennifer, Hecate, Macbeth, William McKinley and me, Elizabeth by E. L. Konigsburg*.

*Ms. Konigsburg also wrote what is - quite possibly - my favorite children's book of all time - From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler. Really. It's awesome.

Just ask Jim Halpert.

Aaaaaand I've just proven my weirdness yet again.

One of these days I'm going to go to the bookstore and buy all my favorite childhood books. I want them around. They're like old friends and I miss them.

Not like I don't already have a ton of books. It's one of the reasons my apartment is a clutterfest.

Better yet - I'm going to buy them for my nieces too.

OK - Now I have no idea what the point of this post is. Except maybe this is it:

Books = good.

Food that reminds you of books and happy childhood memories = even better.

2 comments:

  1. YAY for mentioning Betsy-Tacy! In case you hadn't heard, the high school and beyond books are being rereleased on Tuesday in gorgeous new editions!

    I ate onion sandwiches in Deep Valley this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gigs!! I wrote that for you! And I didn't even know you'd read it.

    I did hear that. I'm excited!

    ReplyDelete