Sunday, September 13, 2009

Running Cancer Out of Town



The Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure was today. I've loved and lost too many people (even one in my opinion is one too many) and known too many who fought breast cancer not to try and do something about it. One in eight women will be diagnosed with breast cancer in her lifetime. ONE in EIGHT. Races like these are pretty spectacular. When you see thousands of people in a sea of pink it's pretty empowering.

And a little sad. All the "in memory of" signs make me really sad. I hope that those things go out of style someday.

With that kind of motivation, I guess that's why I finished my race in less than 30 minutes. 29:11 to be exact.

My goal was realistic and modest. Just run. Run for 3(ish)miles and try to do it in less than 40 minutes.

Mission accomplished!!

For my sister too - who finished just 5 min behind me. Neither one of us had ever run a race before. My sister has always been far more athletic than me and she trained to do this in just a few weeks time. I'm very proud of her.

Our team was Nexans Saving the TaTas. Nexan is a hybrid of New Yorker and Texan. I have a few friends here - including our team captain whose mom was just diagnosed - from the great state of Texas. We're all in NYC now. If you don't know what a TaTa is I can't help you. :)

This is the logo we had on the front of the shirt, with the Statue of Liberty on the back as seen above.



Speaking of the front - my favorite t-shirt of the day was the one that says "Save Second Base".

To gear up for the race I had a hardboiled egg and some grape juice. I love grape juice for some reason.





Maybe because it's kind of like wine? Something to think about.

And a whole wheat English with some buttah.



And then there was my reward for running. Burgers and fries at the Shake Shack - the Upper West Side location.





I ate EVERY. LAST. BITE. Even that pickle. It came on the burger but I like my pickles and burgers separate. I'm weird like that.

I'm feeling very accomplished. WIth additional walking I ended up at about 8 miles today - 3 of them I ran! (Still kind of can't believe that). I've also gotten all my laundry done already.

Basically - I feel pretty great right about now.

5 comments:

  1. Hope you and the Nexans had a great time in this worthwhile endeavor. And on the topic of breast cancer awareness, I invite you to check out this video -- ahamoment.com/pg/moments/view/6789 -- about a remarkable woman's "aha moment" that led her to walk around the world for the cause. Literally. It's a wonderful story, and it's about a lot more than breast cancer. I know you'll find it extremely inspiring.

    All the best,
    jack@ahamoment.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOOT! Congrats on beating your goal for your first race! And for a good cause, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm proud of you too Sissa. Love ya! PS. Bouhbah says hi.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jack - Thanks for the link.
    Shan - I think part of beating the goal is that I didn't quite expect to or I don't know - didn't exactly focus on it as I ran. I just wanted to not stop and to finish.
    Jenna Benna - Love you too!
    Kev - It was a good day. :)

    ReplyDelete