Monday, February 1, 2010

Easy Cheesy Mashed Potatoes

I go days without eating cheese and then suddenly I can't get enough.

Today was one of those days.

Dinner was a boneless pork chop with a a little Sweet Baby Ray's Honey BBQ Sauce.

Some TJ's frozen asparagus - roasted in the oven.

And Easy Cheesy Mashed Potatoes.



Here's how I did it.

Note: I used a lot more potatoes than for 1 person.

Ingredients:

5 red potatoes (I'd say about 1 lb)
1/2 cup shredded extra sharp cheddar - this was Kerrygold Dubliner. I am totally IN LOVE people. Exceptional cheese right there.
1/2 cup warm skim milk
1.5 tbsp butter
S&P to taste





Wash and cut potatoes into like size chunks. Place in pot - cover with cold water. Bring to a boil and let simmer for 10 min or so - or until potatoes are fork tender.

Drain & then place potatoes back in pot to dry off some of the excess water.

Add about 1/4 of the milk (warmed for 1 min 30 secs in the microwave) and begin to smash potatoes. Add half the butter as well. If you have a masher you can do this all by hand. All I have is a meat tenderizer.

It doesn't do such a good job.

So...I wound up whipping the potatoes with a hand mixer.



Add half the cheese, blend. Repeat process until you use all the milk, butter and all the cheese.

S&P to taste.

Enjoy.


Here's the thing about these potatoes. They are made with skim milk and even though I ate a good portion of them I have plenty left over. It's not something I'd eat every day but I don't see anything wrong in induldging time and again.

I saved the other half cup of milk and had it for dessert with a little Midnight Moo.




Daily dairy requirement - fully accomplished. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment