Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Spicy Peanut Noodles with Shrimp



I am learning more and more everyday that I'm a pretty damn good cook.

I know. Modest much?

I'm not an expert in anything fancy or incredibly gourmet but I can make some pretty tasty food.

Then again, most of the time I'm the only one eating what I cook. Maybe I have just fooled my own taste buds. :)

The first time I decided to make this dish I followed a recipe by Robin Miller. I agree with a lot of the reviews. That version is really watery. I improvised greatly and even more today when I was missing some of the ingredients.

I also pared it down. I have some left over for tomorrow night but not much. And I have some sauce that I'm going to freeze for another day.

I don't order Chinese or Thai food often. I find it's waaay too salty and I'm not keen on eating a lot of MSG. Soooo, it might not be authentic but it works for me!

Spicy Peanut Noodles with Shrimp




Ingredients:

For the sauce:

1 cup chicken broth
2.5 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
1 tablespoon vegetable oil (I'd have used sesame if I had it!)
1 tablespoon spicy chili sauce
1 tablespoon soy sauce (All I had was Teriyaki)
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes

For the shrimp:

1 tablespoon olive oil
6 jumbo shrimp (I ate 4 and have 2 leftover)
1/2 small red bell pepper sliced
1 clove garlic minced
1 tablespoon chopped onion
1 tablespoon chopped parsley and basil



2 cups whole wheat thin spaghetti - cooked per package directions



Combine broth, peanut butter, oil, soy sauce, chili sauce and red pepper flakes in a sauce pan with a whisk, making sure the peanut butter has dissolved. Bring to a boil then simmer for 10-15 minutes.



Sautee the onion and garlic with the shrimp in olive oil in a pan over medium heat.



Add the pepper.



Add about a half cup of the peanut sauce and mix together. Let the shrimp and vegetables simmer in the sauce for a few minutes. Add noodles and parsley and basil and combine well. Add another ladleful of sauce if needed.

Dinner is served!!



THINGS I WOULD HAVE ADDED IF I'D HAD THEM IN THE HOUSE - Sesame oil instead of canola in the sauce, about a half a tablespoon of chopped ginger to the shrimp.


On a separate note: I'm having a big issue. I'm on exercise hiatus it seems. Not totally - but the gym has not called my name in over a week. I have Zumba tomorrow night but please. Hold me to this. I want to make it to the gym on Friday. I'm thinking I just have to wake up and go. No more of this bullshit.

I'm weighing in next Friday and if I'm not careful those three pounds I just got off will creep back on. I've been eating pretty well and the scale isn't scaring me but I gotta get moving. I'm feeling sluggish. I know I'm under quite a bit of emotional stress these days but enough is enough.

This also means I didn't completely clean my apartment so this thing is still tucked behind my bed.

What was I smoking when I ordered this? I mean in theory I get it. It is right up my alley. The ballet like component is totally me.

But I live in a (and I'm being generous here) 400 sq ft studio apartment in Manhattan.

Therein lies a problem don't you think??

No comments:

Post a Comment