Monday, August 10, 2009

Winding Down

Update:

I am happy to report that I walked home without incident. I made it inside in one piece took an Aleve then changed and went to the gym. I just kind of needed to be there you know? I've exercised but haven't been to the gym since last Wednesday.

I promised that I wasn't going to push myself too much.

I got on the treadmill and did the random program at 4.0 on level 12 (I typically do level 20). I walked like that for 30 minutes - then went up to 4.4 for the last 9 minutes. And then I ran at 5.5 for the very last minute.

So much for not pushing myself huh?

I did a 5 minute cool down and came home. It was just what I needed.

Before my shower I decided to make the sauce - so that it could simmer a bit.

Ingredients:

1 tbsp olive oil
1 can crushed tomatoes in puree
2 cloves of garlic - minced
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup fresh basil
1 tsp crushed red pepper
1/4 cup dry white wine
parmesan cheese
salt & pepper to taste

For the baked ravioli

6 large cheese ravioli (prepared per package directions)
1 boccaccini - sliced
1 tsp grated parmesan


First sautee the onion and garlic in olive oil over medium heat.



Then add the tomatoes. I emptied the can and then poured in about 1/4 a cup of dry white wine to get the bits still stuck in there.



I used this - which was leftover from last weekend.



To spice it up a bit I added some crushed red pepper. I'd say this is about a teaspoon.



I took a rind of parmesan out of the freezer and threw it in.



I added the basil and stirred.



Then I showered, got in my pjs and had a little snack.



Honey wheat pretzels and hummus and the rest of the bottle of wine.

Then (about a half hour later) I cooked the ravioli.





Now just pretend I showed you what this looked like in a casserole dish instead of my dinner plate. I baked it in the oven at 375 for 12 minutes. You could put it under the broiler if you prefer.



And I busted out another leftover bottle of wine for a second glass.*



I have about 2 cups of the sauce left to be used later. :)

I'm about to go head to bed and put this day behind me. Did I mention spilling half a bottle of ice water on my lap at about 4:30 this afternoon? No? Really? Well...I absolutely did.

Hope your Monday wasn't quite as trying as mine was. Sleep well!

* yes I know alcohol and Aleve is not a stellar combo but it's working so I'm not going to question it too much!

3 comments:

  1. I love your blog - have I told you that? It is so simple and you just talk about your days, but there is something really honest and interesting about it. I find myself happy for you when you say that you made it to the gym, or whatever, because I can so relate to it all. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have - but you can say it again. I don't mind. :) Thank you so much. I'm glad to know I'm not just talking to myself - though I'd do that too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Better to spill ice water than red wine, chocolate ice cream, or any number of other things. Glass half full and all that. ;)

    ReplyDelete